Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cocoa!

Happy New Year! Once again, holidays are so different as a missionary. You just wake up, exercise (I guess since it was a Sunday though no exercise), and go about the Lord's work like every day! It is the best thing ever :) I hope you had a happy new year! We had a miracle happen that evening. I will share that in a minute.
New Years Eve Eve we were up until about 12:12 a.m. Not being disobedient, but because some missionaries didn't answer their phone. So while we were waiting for that to play out we had our own little new years eve party ;) Whenever missionaries don't answer their phone, we have to have some others go check on them to make sure they are ok. So we had some go check on them, but the closest ones who would answer their phones to go check had only bikes this week, so they had to go bike to the other missionaries with the car, wake them up, go make sure the other missionaries are in and safe, and then head back. By the time that was all wrapped up it was about midnight. Half the zone was involved it seemed like ha ha, Cocoa zone only has two districts and nearly everyone in one district was up helping/being checked on, plus Sister Allen got roped into it too because nobody knew where the apartment was but her (the Sisters just got transferred out of that area, so she used to live there). Thankfully they were ok though and had just left their phone in the car.
Cocoa is great! The members here are wonderful, as in every area that I've served in so far. We have some amazing investigators, and I am so thankful to have been able to just jump in right now in the work in this area. The ward is super excited to have Elders and Sisters! It will be fun to see the missionary work really get rolling here. Sunday the Bishop asked Sister Melville, Sister Allen, and I to speak/bear our testimonies since we were new in the ward. It was a neat meeting because a bunch of the young adults in the ward who were back from schooling for a little bit also were asked to share their testimonies. Everyone laughed when Sister Allen mentioned that we were from the same hometown, and the same home ward to be exact. What are the odds ha ha? Everyone just keeps saying how crazy that is. It's pretty funny to think about :)
Elder Bailey David Schmutz is my companion! He is from Bountiful, UT and knows the fowers. There are lots of Elders who know who Nick is in the mission (Elders Bohn, Willey, Packard, and Montgomery) because they are from Bountiful. Elder Schmutz is so awesome. He is really positive and smiles a lot and just loves the people! He is easy going, but not lazy. He is a hard worker and dedicated to serving the Lord. I am really excited to see the miracles that the Lord will bring about here in the coming transfers; it already seems like He has set up so much potential here, and people are coming out of the woodwork left and right!
We had dinner with the Lintons in the ward, and it turns out they are related to Mrs. Linton the librarian and Amy and Angela Linton back in Grantsville. Such a small world! They are such nice people though and we had a great time. Their son Tanner is at BYU right now and is in a jazz choir; he was asked to speak and gave a great testimony. Something I learned to remember was that we are "here to bless, not impress." So often as missionaries we get nervous because we feel like we have to be picture perfect and get on everyone's good side in order to get the work rolling, and so you can worry sometimes about how to do that. Really though, when we just remember that we are here to help and love the people any way that we can, then it just happens naturally. If we are worried about impressing then we forget are true purpose and are thinking about ourselves too much. It's not about me, I'm here to serve, forget myself, and play my heart out in this final inning as Elder Holland said in his conference talk. So, I was thankful Tanner mentioned that in his talk. Brother Linton taught gospel principles on Sunday and it was an amazing lesson... our investigators were in tears and the Spirit was so strong!
So we are working with a family named the S (I love S! Ha ha remember the Sumterville S? How could anyone forget them :). Random fun fact - When I served in Sumterville we lived in a town called Bushnell. Taught the S while I was in Bushnell. Well, Sister S started investigating because of Sister B in our ward, an awesome missionary who teaches a zumba class and always leaves a spiritual thought and uplifts everyone. Kind of funny huh?
Anyway, the S have been learning, and Sister S and her son B are planning to be baptized on the 14th. Their daughter Maria is also learning and enjoying it, but she's not quite ready yet. Thus far the dad has been great with them learning about it, but he is an atheist and doesn't really want anything to do with it himself. Everytime the missionaries had come over before he pretty much would just leave. They had one neat experience where they were going through a hard time, and right then Elder Schmutz & Elder Jensen knocked on the door! He was pretty astounded and kind of took it as a sign.
Well, Sunday night was amazing. We went over, got inside, and you could just tell things were tense. Bro S had just left the house because he'd barely found out we were coming (we were trying to catch him there to invite him to sit in on the lesson). As we sat down, you could just tell the family was pretty shaken up and had been going through some really hard things that day. We talked with them and just listened, letting them tell us how they were feeling. After a few minutes the door opened, and B (Bro S) walked in! We were all kind of surprised. We started talking to him, just really focusing on him and what he is feeling. He sat down, and we continued to talk and to teach. We asked him if he wanted to join us for the lesson but he said no, he wasn't going to be able to. So instead we just started teaching him without him knowing it :) And teach him the Spirit did! His mind and heart are starting to be softened, and he is slowly coming to understand why the gospel is so important for his family. We had a member, Bro S, with us, and he bore such powerful testimony. B really related to him, and took a lot from it. We concluded by showing "Hope Ya Know, I'm Having a Hard Time" (mormon messages version). After that we had a kneeling prayer and invited B to call on someone to offer it. He asked K (Sis S) to say it, and she did. The Spirit was so strong there, and she said such a beautiful prayer. After the prayer B said that he was thankful to the Savior too, and walked over and just embraced his wife. It was SO neat to see... after the adversary had been fighting and railing on this family that day right before we got there, there is nothing like the peace of the Savior that is felt through the Holy Ghost. I am so thankful to have been able to see and feel that, and especially that their kids who are 18 and 12 could see that and how it was the gospel of Jesus Christ that brought that peace into their homes. I love their family so much. It is amazing how the Lord lets us feel His love for them, even though I have only been here a week now.
Well, my time is up, but that is what I wanted to share with you quickly. I love the Lord so much, and I know that as we do our very best to serve Him, He works miracles in our lives. I am thankful for the growth and learning that He is blessing me with on the mission. It is the best thing I have ever done. I love you all so much, I am thankful for you, and I pray for you daily, multiple times. Thanks for everything, I loved the letters and packages! I got the pics Mindy, and the notes, and the awesome BYU tape =] I will most certainly be putting that to good use! Love you all!
love,
Elder Andrew Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment