Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Miracles =]

Hey! First off:
I don't know if I told you, but for Christmas from Pres. & Sis. Hall we got these really neat pictures in a frame. It is a picture of a workhorse, chained up to a load, with its head down just moving forward. That has been one of the themes in the mission - we are not show horses, not race horses, not ponys (to the Sisters ;), but we are workhorses! We just keep going day after day and serve the Lord with everything we've got! So in the hard times we can just look at the picture and remember who we are. You should google the picture; it's pretty inspiring. I guess it was taken of a blind horse that worked in the mines its whole life or something like that? I'm not sure, I heard that from another missionary. Either way though, the message is pretty neat. I love President & Sis. Hall so much, I have really learned a lot from them. They will probably always be like my 2nd mom and dad ha ha ;) I can't wait for you to meet them!
2nd: What is the facts behind anti-persperant deoderant? Is it ok? Is it bad for you? Some missionaries only use deoderant because they say it's bad for you or something. Do you know?
3rd: This coming week is leadership training, and Elder Schmutz & I have been asked to give a training on helping our missionaries help our investigators understand the role of the Holy Ghost in their conversion. Please keep us in your prayers so that we can get across the things that the Lord would have us say!
4th: I am fine with whatever! I think all of those guys would be great roomates. Does Nolan still want to join in the mix too? I trust you to do whatever is great Mom =] You have my permission to do what you feel is best. But yes, I would love to room with those guys.
Well, now that those random thoughts are out of the way... tell everyone getting married congrats! And that I'm sorry I can't make it to their weddings and stuff.. but not really.. because it's their fault... ha ha. We have been working with some really great people who are progressing towards baptism. The S family is closest right now, they were going to be baptized this week but will be next week instead so that more of the family can be there to witness. We have had some wonderful experiences with them where the Spirit has just been so strong! It is amazing though how when a family is super close to being baptized, Satan jumps all over them. We always try to give them the best heads up we can, but they don't always realize how serious we are. K (Sis S) has! We were talking to her and she was telling us how random people have just started inviting her to their churches this week.. her family started asking questions about what she's doing with this church, and then someone gave her some anti about the church. She is so solid though :) She is like, "I know what the Church is, and what I want to do. It doesn't matter what anyone says or tells me. I have experienced it for myself." YES! When someone gains a true witness from the Holy Ghost, they can't deny it no matter what other kinds of witnesses are against it. There is a neat quote in the gospel principles manual I read this week about how the Spirit leaves indelible impressions upon our souls that are hard to erase. You'll have to read it. It's towards the start of the book. B, the 12 (soon to be 13) year old son is such a good kid. He wants to be a missionary, and was telling his family all about it! Oh man I love this family. That is something that makes me happier than even a baptism - someone being baptized who then wants to be a missionary. The gospel is that gift that continues to give throughout eternity, and that is how you know when someone truly receives it - is if they then continue to share it with those around them.
We were also blessed to find a great man named A. We were able to contact him right before we went into a member's house for dinner. We got a return appointment with him for the next day, and went back and taught him more about the Restoration and the Book of Mormon. He was pretty interested. We scheduled another return appointment for Saturday, went back with the member and had a great lesson, and then he came to church on Sunday! The member fellowshipped him and took him around to all 3 hours and answered his questions. He enjoyed church, and it sounded like he is planning on coming back again. He is just a good guy, you can tell. I really had my testimony of getting members involved strengthened through that experience. Member-friends is the new key word in the FOM. That's what it's all about! If we really love our investigators and want to help them progress, and want to experience real growth in the church, then we need to get them member-friends as soon as possible. We kind of organize the teaching and growing process for them, but it's the members who answer questions when we aren't there, be their friends, and just have fun with them! The members here are so great and really just reach out to the people.
Yesterday was a miracle day at church. Thank you so much for your prayers and fasting! The S (K, M, and B) came, A, and then 2 LA's we have been working with! It was way cool, because during our weekly planning session we were praying about who to work with. We picked a name, called her up on the phone, and she was just like, "Yeah, I've actually been thinking about coming back to church; it was one of my new-year's resolutions!" And so she came yesterday with her 11 year old son, and met with the bishop and is on track to coming back :) We will be working with her husband hopefully soon; he is a non-member. Another lady we have been working with who hasn't been to church in years came too! What faith these people have, I am so thankful for their examples and willingness to change and be better. When we follow the commandments of God we are allowing Him to bless us.
Aw man, my time is up, but I love you all so much! Thanks for everything :) I listened to your tape (finally) and I loved it! You guys are so funny. Oh man. I will reply asap, and am picking up my pic cd to mail home soon. I know I haven't sent pics in a while... sorry! Love you so much! =]
love,
Elder Andrew Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment