My highlight of this week was definitely Saturday... when we got to go back to Viera for B's baptism! I was kind of worried at first because we were trying and trying and trying all week to find a ride in the ward Saturday, but nobody could tkae us. I was praying like crazy, and then Friday we found a ride with a recent convert of four years - Bro. A. It was really nice of him to take us there, and he even bought us lunch!
The baptism was just incredible. It was probably the most powerful baptism I have been to my whole mission! I loved seeing the Ss just happy as can be as we all were there with B as he was baptized. It was such a great privilege to be able to baptize him; I will never forget it. I wish I could somehow describe the special Spirit that was felt there. Bishop G is so inspired! He had B share his thoughts and feelings after the baptism and it was just powerful. Then Bishop bore his testimony. I sure love Bishop G, I told him as I was leaving (the first time) that I'm probably going to be calling him the rest of my life asking him questions about different things lol and just to keep up of course.
Elder Charbadze is great, I am enjoying being his companion! We are having fun together already. I am so thankful to be serving with him; it is neat to be serving with a convert as well as a foreigner =] We have fun. He hasn't seen his Mom in a little over 3 years because she still lives in Russia and he came to the U.S. for high school in California. He went to a private school there. His Mom was baptized about a year ago :) Can you imagine not being able to see your Mom/son for over 5 years? That's what he will have been through after the mission. He is such a great person and I love him a lot.
We got to help out with a group called "Love Orlando" this week on "Project Homeless connect." It was such a humbling experience. We went to this big church in Orlando where they had organized a big service project to help out all of the homeless people around in the area. They had free lunch, showers, haircuts, ID services, medical services, testing, job finding agencies, etc. Our part was to be their friend and show them around to all of the different things. It was a great experience, and I was able to help some wonderful people. I learned a lot from that - just about how we are all God's children. People want to be happy, and we all need God's love. It's amazing the difference that a simple smile can make.
There was one homeless couple there, and they had a newborn baby. It broke my heart to see them going through such hard times, and that pure innocent child having to go through that as well. I felt so much love for them, and just wanted to help them in any way possible. I am so thankful for the circumstances I am in, and the blessings God has given me. I also learned an important lesson about attitude... we met a man (homeless) who was just walking around complaining about the services, how things weren't good enough there, etc. We talked to him and tried to help him see the good, but he wouldn't have it. It was pretty sad, because it was plain to see that he was miserable. Attitude is so important, and I am thankful that Heavenly Father has given us our agency - to be able to choose happiness and eternal life through His Son, Jesus Christ. It's consistently making that choice to be happy and stay positive that will lead us to better places and to become better people
Hey, my current address is this:
2328 Midtown Ter. #1022
Orlando, FL 32839
I am excited to be serving here in Bumby; I love seeing growth. I guess they have been struggling a little bit, but I'm not going to focus too much on that. I will tell you one funny example though because I just started laughing when it happened. I guess in priesthood they hardly ever has a teacher.. someone always bails or doesn't show up or whatever and so they throw on a movie for the class. Well, yesterday that happened, and the teacher had us watch the Women's broadcast by Pres. Monson. It was really good, actually! The one about Believe, Obey, Endure. I just thought it was a funny choice for priesthood. Well, I love you all so much! Thanks for everything =]
love, Elder Beckett
The baptism was just incredible. It was probably the most powerful baptism I have been to my whole mission! I loved seeing the Ss just happy as can be as we all were there with B as he was baptized. It was such a great privilege to be able to baptize him; I will never forget it. I wish I could somehow describe the special Spirit that was felt there. Bishop G is so inspired! He had B share his thoughts and feelings after the baptism and it was just powerful. Then Bishop bore his testimony. I sure love Bishop G, I told him as I was leaving (the first time) that I'm probably going to be calling him the rest of my life asking him questions about different things lol and just to keep up of course.
Elder Charbadze is great, I am enjoying being his companion! We are having fun together already. I am so thankful to be serving with him; it is neat to be serving with a convert as well as a foreigner =] We have fun. He hasn't seen his Mom in a little over 3 years because she still lives in Russia and he came to the U.S. for high school in California. He went to a private school there. His Mom was baptized about a year ago :) Can you imagine not being able to see your Mom/son for over 5 years? That's what he will have been through after the mission. He is such a great person and I love him a lot.
We got to help out with a group called "Love Orlando" this week on "Project Homeless connect." It was such a humbling experience. We went to this big church in Orlando where they had organized a big service project to help out all of the homeless people around in the area. They had free lunch, showers, haircuts, ID services, medical services, testing, job finding agencies, etc. Our part was to be their friend and show them around to all of the different things. It was a great experience, and I was able to help some wonderful people. I learned a lot from that - just about how we are all God's children. People want to be happy, and we all need God's love. It's amazing the difference that a simple smile can make.
There was one homeless couple there, and they had a newborn baby. It broke my heart to see them going through such hard times, and that pure innocent child having to go through that as well. I felt so much love for them, and just wanted to help them in any way possible. I am so thankful for the circumstances I am in, and the blessings God has given me. I also learned an important lesson about attitude... we met a man (homeless) who was just walking around complaining about the services, how things weren't good enough there, etc. We talked to him and tried to help him see the good, but he wouldn't have it. It was pretty sad, because it was plain to see that he was miserable. Attitude is so important, and I am thankful that Heavenly Father has given us our agency - to be able to choose happiness and eternal life through His Son, Jesus Christ. It's consistently making that choice to be happy and stay positive that will lead us to better places and to become better people
Hey, my current address is this:
2328 Midtown Ter. #1022
Orlando, FL 32839
I am excited to be serving here in Bumby; I love seeing growth. I guess they have been struggling a little bit, but I'm not going to focus too much on that. I will tell you one funny example though because I just started laughing when it happened. I guess in priesthood they hardly ever has a teacher.. someone always bails or doesn't show up or whatever and so they throw on a movie for the class. Well, yesterday that happened, and the teacher had us watch the Women's broadcast by Pres. Monson. It was really good, actually! The one about Believe, Obey, Endure. I just thought it was a funny choice for priesthood. Well, I love you all so much! Thanks for everything =]
love, Elder Beckett
No comments:
Post a Comment