Hi low mini mini cow cow mmm chow chow piggie wow wow yoo-hoo! Is that right? Ha ha I just remembered that. It's so weird - I have the most random things pop into my head sometimes out of completely nowhere. Things that I remember from like 3rd grade. Like the other day I started singing a whole N'SYNC song word for word, but then I realized I was and stopped. They aren't quite approved lol. Anyway, I don't know if it's like that for other missionaries, but my memory/thinking/neuro-operative system (sounds like a cool word - probably not correct) I think has changed a ton since I've been out.
Oh hey, Mindy, did you get a spot at Regency with your friends? Hope so! If not that's ok; that just means that the Lord has other plans for you in a different place where you'll be even better off. Also how did your midterms go? Hey! Congrats! You did get a spot! That is a huge blessing =] Let me know how it is, and watch for a spot where I might could live (that's southern ;) in a while. And YES, I DID get your valentine! That was so fun! Thanks! And I love that picture. It's actually on the back of one of my planners. Now I have a fun puzzle to put together - plus it has a nice note from Melindy on the back.
How has Dad's back been? I am so sorry to hear that! I didn't even know that he was hurt. How did he hurt it? I'm sorry Dad. I will keep you in my prayers for sure. Please be super careful! I'm still planning on going backpacking with you in the summer of 2012! That's in about a year and a half Dad so be ready, it will come up faster than you think ;) And Mom/family, thanks for the package that it sounds like is on the way. You didn't need to get me anything, I'm doing great! I feel so blessed and am loving life. I really have come to realize just how much we all have. First of all we have the Gospel, which is the best blessing we could have in our lives, and then on top of that we are physically and temporally blessed as well! I have really been learning to take better care of the things that I already have, shop the deals, distinguish between wants and needs, and much much more. Being here on the mission is the best experience I could've asked for, and I am still constantly having my eyes opened to just how blessed I am to even be here. I have no doubt the Lord sent me here for a purpose, and His hand really is in everything throughout my life (whether I realize it or not). I would be so lost without Him. I am thankful for the trials and experiences that I have, because they are specialized and customary to what I need most, when I need it. The Lord really knows me.
Oh, apparently there is a holiday going on today? Something to do with romance? Eww... girls have cooties... ha ha. Being a missionary is where it's at! You have such a worry-free life. You don't have to worry about anything for yourself, you just get to help other people out with the problems they are having. Clarification: I'm not talking about romance or romance problems. Anyway. I think the Lord is extra-likely to give you revelation on how you can help someone else in their life when you are going out of your way to help them. Of course he gives us revelation for ourselves and how we can help ourselves too, but to me it almost seems like for that we really have to show Him that we want and need it before we qualify. However, it seems that things come so much easier when trying to help those around us. Just an interesting thought.
Hey, sorry if any of this is repetitive when I finish and send my tape home. I have a hard time remembering what all I talk about on there. That's alright though, you can just get to know some of what's going on a little better right? :P
Monday through Wednesday I was on an exchange with one of the Zone Leaders, Elder Matthews. He is from Portland, Oregon and is a wide receiver for BYU. He is really tall, but Elder Brown still has him beat by an inch. WOW, speaking of which, Elder Brown goes home this May! That is crazy! He hit his year mark like right before he started training me. Time goes by so fast. Anyway, I learned a lot from Elder Mathews and he is a great Elder. One thing I got from him was a talk/letter written from a stake president to his son on a mission. Elder Zivic apparently gave it to the elders during leadership training when he was here. It talks about "Personal Purification" and this is the basic idea: you pray and fast for 24 hours for the Lord to reveal to you habits you have that are poking at the Spirit, ways to be more obedient, etc. Then at the end of your fast you come before the Lord and make a list of specific things that come to mind. You covenant to not do those things for 40 days (a 40 day fast... get it?), and then you will be happy and have overcome those things and you will have real spiritual power. Isn't that awesome? I think so. Elder Stock and I started it on Saturday.
Zone conference was incredible! I am constantly more and more amazed at just how inspired President Hall really is. He is a wonderful example of a Christ-like person. One thing I thought was really neat that he mentioned in Zone Conference was that he has been blessed to see us closer to how the Savior sees us than we can even see ourselves. We also learned about personal honor (see the BYU-I personal honor sheet), contacting, change, accounting, and now we have texting. It's the same rules with calling though so I can't text you guys lol.
I went straight from Zone Conference to an exchange with the Leesburg Elders (Carmack and Haack) and that was a lot of fun. I did my first baptismal interview with J M, S's Mom. She is a wonderful lady and ready to be baptized! I was kind of nervous at first (it was my first one), but it ended up being a great experience.
Saturday we had an awesome service project at the Gs. They are building some rooms on the back of their house, and so the priesthood in the branch organized this project to help them out. There was a great turnout and we got a lot done. I was eating, drinking, seeing, and breathing insulation. It actually wasn't that bad though! Elder Stock and I put in all the insulation for the two rooms (on the ceiling anyway), and it came in the rolls. I'll be pro to help out at home when I get back if it still needs to be done when I come home! We also hung some drywall, did the wiring, and re-did the roof. We meaning the branch and us; we aren't allowed to help out with some of the things like on the roof. It was a blast though and Sister G made a delicious lunch for everyone.
Well, "My life is gooood! Real gooood!" - Nacho
I have been speaking like Nacho sometimes ever since I read Skylar's quote a while back lol. But seriously, life is the best ever. This really is a probationary time to prepare to meet our Heavenly Father again. Let's not waste it. There is so much good to be done, so many of our brothers and sisters to be helped. Life can't be about us... we have been blessed to be in the position that we are in only so that we can help others. We need to help them; it is our privilege and duty. Everyone needs to come to Jesus Christ and accept the fulness of His gospel. Thanks Mom, Dad, Mindy, Allie/Shaniqua ;), Nate, and Seth for your love and examples. You reaffirm my faith constantly that the Church is true, that families can be together forever, and so much more. Hope you have a great week! Remember to CPR (Church, Pray, Read)! And CTR! They go hand in hand. I love you!
love,
Elder Andrew John Beckett
Andrew, it is so fantastic to read your letters! You are inspirational and insightful. I especially loved the thoughts regarding asking God for help for ourselves versus asking Him for help in someone else's behalf. Brilliant! Love you!
ReplyDeleteGRrr I just left a comment and then the page disappeared so I gotta start over. Anyway basically I was saying that every time I get done reading Andy's letters, I'm full of optimism and enthusiasm. It's like the vinyl quote on Vals wall, "Scatter sunshine." And i better start serving others a little better........
ReplyDeleteCute Deb...I feel the same way after reading these.. ready to take on the world! What fantastic words of wisdom from Andrew! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteLOVE this Andy~Man! I hope there are other young men out there ~not related to us~ that are as good as he is so my daughters get good hubby's like him someday :)!
ReplyDelete